In 1986 Patrick Sher, and Jack Kopkin came up with the idea to have a warehouse style store for office supplies. They wanted to offer people a place to get their items in bulk at discounted prices.
They opened their first Office Depot store in Lauderdale Lakes Florida in October of 1986. They took the store public just a few years later and have enjoyed a consistent growth ever since. By 1995 they had 500 stores in the US, Mexico, and Poland. Shortly after, they opened stores in Thailand, France, and Hungary. By 1998 they had launched a successful website and merged with Viking office products.
Today Office Depot operates over 1,500 stores worldwide and has over 40,000 employees. In 1996 Staples and Office Depot started negotiations to merge the two businesses, but were stopped by the FTC sighting the two were too large and would cause a monopoly.
Since they have so many stores the biggest employment opportunity is at their retail locations. Customer service specialists are the biggest role available.
As a customer service specialist you’ll be responsible for helping customers with their purchases. You’ll need to help identify customer needs and be able to answer their questions about specific products. Office Depot does like to promote from within so you can work your way up to Department manager, Assistant store manager, Store manager, and eventually district manager.
There are other employment opportunities available to you though. As part of the supply chain division you’ll be assisting the company and keeping it moving forward. In the supply chain operations you could work as a member of the Corporate Team which means you’ll e doing your best to keep the business flowing on the same page. You’ll be the liaison between engineering, reporting, and systems.
Office Depot job benefits include:
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance Plan
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Spouse/Dependent Life Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Stock Options and Bonuses per position eligibility
- Short-term and Long-term Disability
- Paid Holidays/Personal/Vacation/Sick Time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Associate Store Merchandise Discount
- Matching Gifts for Education
- Matching Gifts for Volunteer Leaders
- Grants for Volunteers
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Resource & Referral Program
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Lactation Rooms (in our larger locations)
- On-site Amenities (at Corporate)
- Credit Union
- Associate Activities
- Voluntary Benefits (Auto/Homeowners/Pet/Legal/Critical Illness)
- National Fitness Membership Discounts
- National/Local Discount Program
There are also several corporate positions. If you are interested in accounting, tax, IT, human resources, marketing, print, public relations, or risk management then you’ll want to apply at the corporate level.
Getting a job there is great. Their business is taking care of their people. They realize how important their professionals are to their success and future. Your dedication to what you do and the pride in your day-to-day responsibilities are rewarded to the best of your abilities, as they offer a comprehensive package of benefits. If this isn’t a reason to apply for a job for them, then I don’t know what is!
Office Depot Application Online
Office Depot jobs & Office Depot careers- Click here